Tuesday, September 15, 2009

OneBusAway Native iPhone App

I'm very excited to announce that the OneBusAway native iPhone app has been accepted by the Apple iTunes App Store!

Goto the Apple iTunes Store to download the app

Features include:
  • Real-time arrival arrival information for public transit.
  • Map display of stops and routes.
  • Nearby stops search for location-aware devices.
  • Bookmarks and recent stop history.
  • Search for stops by route, address, and stop number.
  • Did I mention that the app is FREE?
It's everything you love about OneBusAway and your iPhone in one happy package. I've been using the app for a month or two now and I think it has really made transit that much easier to use.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the beta-testers who tried out that app and provided feedback. Special thanks to John Jensen for his contributions to the app and my advisers at UW for not kicking me out of school for working on OneBusAway ; )

You can find more details about the application at our app support page:

http://onebusaway.org/where/iphone.html

If you have any issues with the app, definitely let us know.

The app is also open-source. Want a new feature added? Take charge and write it yourself. Check out the project page for more details:

http://code.google.com/p/onebusaway-iphone/

15 comments:

Robert said...

Really nice. It works really well. I very much approve.

What would make this the ultimate Seattle bus app is if you could use the Google maps API to get transit directions, then use the onebusaway logic to figure out when the next bus is coming for you. Maybe even calculate routes based on when the next bus is scheduled to arrive.

Great work!

Brian Ferris said...

@Robert

We're working on it ;)

Elton said...

Is there any chance you guys would consider porting this to webOS? =D

Brian Ferris said...

@Elton

One the next goals is a browser-based app that we can more easily run on a variety of mobile devices, but still take advantage of the geolocation capabilities.

Greg said...

Congrats!

steven said...

Android next, pretty please!!

Ahmad said...

Definitely good work..

Now all we need is a WebOS version for the Palm Pre!

chris said...

My one complaint with it is that after a search it automatically jumps to the map view, which saps my pathetic EDGE connection dry, making me wait 30 seconds or so before I can view the list of stops.

Can we get a settings option to default to "list" view instead of the map? I often know where I'm going and where the bus route goes, and just want a list of stops to choose my favorite / frequented ones.

Thanks for all the great work!

RS said...

Thank you!

paulcwatts said...

For those of you looking for a OneBusAway app for Android, I've been working on just that. It's not on the Market yet, but if you're willing to beta test you can take a look at the project here:

http://code.google.com/p/seattle-bus-bot/

Adam P said...

Hey Brian I haven't used it much since I have no need for it right now but one of my first reactions was that the stop icons get a bit cluttered and you have to zoom in pretty closely to choice the one you want. I'm assuming this is a compromise between readability and ability to easily select a stop with your finger.

Is their any way to keep trying to offset the symbols so they are as close as possible to reality but still don't overlap?

mixio said...

very nice!
In Microsoft's backyard, how about one for Windows Mobile?

soundeziner said...

I can't say anything better than thank you! This is the Seattle bus map app I've been waiting for. That it is free to boot is amazing. Where can I donate? I really want to support developers like you!

Tom Richards said...

I have found the app to be a great help. I rely on the bus's a lot and except for service problems with timeouts (maybe att?) it works really well.

Anonymous said...

Great little app for the iPhone, glad it's finally been approved!