Monday, March 8, 2010

Best Week Ever

Last week was a good week for OneBusAway. Let me tell you all about it:

First, we launched a redesign of the website. Though I make no claims to a glowing future in web design, I hope you'd agree that it's an improvement. At minimum, it makes it easier for us to highlight our ever-growing list of tools.

New Design for OneBusAway

We also found out last week that our research paper "OneBusAway: Results from Providing Real-Time Arrival Information for Public Transit", to appear at CHI 2010 in Atlanta, was a best paper award nominee (given to the top 5% of submissions). There is hope that I may graduate after all! Check out the paper at our research page.

In other research news, we also learned that we're going to be receiving a number of Android phones from Google that we plan of using for a big user-study we're working on for this summer in the Rainier Valley under the guidance of Transportation Choices Coalition. More on that later.

Finally, I'm happy to announce that OneBusAway was a winner at the annual Washington Technology Industry Association awards, where we took home the prize for "Best Use of Technology in the Government, Non-Profit, or Educational Sector". More details can be found at the WTIA's website.

WTIA Winner

All told, it was a busy week for OneBusAway (and I'm not even counting the hours spent hacking preparation for what's coming this week). Thanks to all our users for making us such a success!

5 comments:

Nimesh said...

I found your application very interesting and helpful for me.
I'm also a Palm WebOS developer and was facing problem of Multiple Location on maps but after using MapsHelper.js it resolved my case.
Now major problem is that the map is static where I see your map dynamic. So can you help me out to resolve this.

Thanks,
Nimesh

Andrew said...

As a daily bus commuter I live and die by One Bus Away. Congrats!!

Jonathon D. C. said...

Andrew's got it right. Congrats on all your successes, Brian! They are richly deserved. :)

Carla said...

Congrats, guys! I heard about your award a few days ago and have been meaning to share the good news on my blog (soon, soon). Also wanted to let you know: My friend Lily, a fellow bus mom of two, brought her little ones over the other day. Almost as soon as she got to my place, she said, "I've finally started using OneBusAway. I'm telling you, it's changed my life!"

- Bus Chick

jeremy said...

thanks so much!!!! Your services have made bus life tolerable! Seriously! Thank you! :) and congrats!!